|
22nd August
|
|
|
|
Increasing number of arrests for street prostitution in Scotland
|
See article
from scotsman.com
|
The number of arrests for street prostitution in Scotland has nearly doubled in the last three years.
A total of 30 women and three men were charged with prostitution-related offences since January. Last year, 67 people were charged with either soliciting, loitering or importuning while selling sex on the streets in the force area, compared with 37 in
2008.
The figures, released by Lothian and Borders Police, showed that 127 arrests for either soliciting, loitering or importuning were made in 2006. The number fell to 50 the following year then 37 in 2008 before starting to climb again over the past three
years. Loitering charges are usually made when police officers observe an individual and believe they have reason to suspect they are selling sexual services.
During 2010, a total of 42 men were charged under kerb-crawling laws in Edinburgh, compared with just 23 in 2008.
Prostitute support group Scotpep said the rise in arrests may have been sparked by police acting on complaints from residents rather than a rise in the number of sex workers. Estimates made by Scotpep last year put the number of women working on the streets
at between 80 and 100.
Police chiefs said they were vigorously enforcing laws enacted in 2008 which made kerb-crawling a criminal offence and that may account for an increase in charges.
Rob Kirkwood, from the Leith Residents' Association, said: Prostitution in the Leith Links area is now practically non-existent. There was a woman working here on Tuesday night, but she was the first person I had seen in months. The rise in arrests
doesn't indicate a return to problems in Leith Links. I think it shows that the police are taking a pro-active approach to policing an issue which can devastate communities.
|
|
20th August
|
|
|
|
Request for letters campaigning against prosecution of sex worker merely trying to work safely
|
See article
from iusw.org
from Cari Mitchell English Collective of Prostitutes
|
Dear friends,
We have asked you to write before in support of Sheila Farmer demanding that her prosecution for brothel-keeping be dropped. We ask now if you can please write again.
Ms Farmer's case has been widely publicised: despite her ill health she spoke to 5000 people at the SlutWalk march in Trafalgar Sq on 11 June, a protest was held outside the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) on 1st July, over a thousand
people have written to her MP, and Women Against Rape and ourselves met with DPP Keir Starmer urging him to intervene, which he has so far refused to do. However, there is a strong indication that all the letters and publicity are having an impact.
The CPS has put out misinformation saying that Ms Farmer ran a nuisance brothel and was prosecuted because neighbours complained. None of the neighbours' complaints were substantiated. Some were clearly false including a claim that
children were on the premises. The police visited the premises and knew that Ms Farmer was leaving and still raided the flat a week later and arrested Ms Farmer. Further proof that this prosecution is vindictive.
We include below a model letter. Please add personal details and your own views as it will have more impact.
The case comes to court on 5 September. The letter should be sent to:
Keir Starmer, Director of Public Prosecutions Crown Prosecution Service Rose Court, 2 Southwark Bridge, London SE1 9HS privateoffice@cps.gsi.gov.uk
COPY TO: Jo Johnson MP, House of Commons, London, SW1A 0AA Tel: 020 7219 7125 jo.johnson.mp@parliament.uk
And to the English Collective of Prostitutes at the address above.
Model letter:
Dear Keir Starmer,
I'm writing to ask for the prosecution of Sheila Farmer to be dropped immediately. Ms Farmer is a 50-year-old cancer patient and is being prosecuted for managing a brothel. Her case comes to court on 5 September.
[Add something about who you are and your situation].
Ms Farmer has been a diabetic since childhood. She had to leave her job as an IT consultant due to progressive loss of vision, the result of her life-long condition. She went into prostitution to provide for herself and her son.
At first, she worked on her own. Within six months, she was viciously attacked, raped and nearly killed. To protect herself she decided to work with others. There was no force or coercion involved and all the women had control over their own earnings.
Ms Farmer now has a malignant brain tumour. Her hospital consultant has written to the court saying I am afraid the future is uncertain and one can almost guarantee that the tumour will grow and progress in the relatively near
future. If possible it would be medically justifiable to try and avoid any stress associated with any prolonged Court hearing.
Not only does Ms Farmer face a prolonged trial, she faces up to seven years in prison for a consensual act which should not be criminalised. Sex workers' safety should be prioritised. It is much safer for sex workers to work together.
If sex workers are prosecuted they will be less likely to come forward to report rape and other violence. Violent men know this and are being given a green light by the authorities to attack. [Add something about why you are concerned about rape and other
violence.]
Other points you may want to include: ? Ms Farmer is one of hundreds of women who are being prosecuted for brothel-keeping or related charges for working together for safety. Hanna Morris was charged with prostitution offences after
she dialled 999 to report a serious attack on her colleague. The attackers went free despite comprehensive information being given to the police of their identity and location. News of that prosecution has spread and is deterring other sex workers from coming
forward. More women will be raped and even killed as a result. ? As poverty increases, more women, particularly mothers, are being forced into prostitution. Government research found that 74% of women working indoors and 28% of women working outdoors cited the need to pay household expenses and support their children as the prime motivating factor
. A criminal record makes it harder to leave the sex industry and find other employment. ? Under Proceeds of Crime law the police keep 50% of assets confiscated during raids and 25% from subsequent prosecutions, with the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS)
keeping another 25%. Women have lost their life savings, house and possessions. It seems that raids, arrests and prosecutions are being fuelled by a desire of the police and CPS to profit. There is also widespread corruption with accusations from women of
the police being paid to bring the press with them on raids. ? The CPS has wide discretion in which offences it prosecutes. Lord Shawcross, Attorney General, in 1951 made this clear: It has never been the rule in this country --- I hope it never will be
--- that suspected criminal offences must automatically be the subject of prosecution . (House of Commons Debates, volume 483, column 681, 29 January 1951.)
Given all the circumstances of this case, we cannot understand how this prosecution can be judged to be in the public interest. I urge you to drop the case immediately.
Yours sincerely.
Update: Delayed
5th September 2011. See article
from iusw.org
Sheila Farmer's case is now not starting on Monday 5 September. We expect it to start on Thursday 8 September but we shall not know definitely until Wednesday.
|
|
29th July
|
|
|
|
43 victims of Labour's criminalisation of buying sex
|
See article
from bbc.co.uk
|
A
law intended to criminalise men who use prostitutes has led to 43 convictions in
England and Wales in its first year of operation.
Police say the law is difficult to enforce as it relies on
women coming forward to give evidence of coercion.
The law, officially known as Section 53A of the 2003 Sexual
Offences Act, is meant to reduce the number of men buying sex by
striking fear in men lest unbeknown to them the sex worker has
been coerced.
The law allows police to prosecute men who have sex with
women even if they did not know the woman had been forced to
work as a prostitute
Greater Manchester Deputy Chief Constable Simon Byrne, who is
the Association of Chief Police Officers' lead on the issue of
prostitution, said he was surprised at how many
convictions there had been because the law is difficult to
prosecute.
Speaking to the PM programme on BBC Radio 4, Byrne said:
The whole law in relation to this
particular part of policing is confusing. We are calling for
a simplification.
We are looking at a range of
options in dialogue with the Home Office to try and simplify
things and to look at good models of practice in other parts
of the world.
Acpo ludicrously claimed last year that at least 2,600
prostitutes working in brothels in England and Wales had been
trafficked from abroad, almost one in 10 of the estimated 30,000
working prostitutes. But even after raiding 100's of brothels
the police can find hardly any trafficked women.
The figures are rightfully disputed by people working in the
sex industry. They argue that most women are engaging in
consensual sex, simply to earn money.
Niki Adams, from the English Collective of Prostitutes, says
the law does not address the fundamental issues:
I don't think this law should be
used at all. It undermines sex workers' safety and it
targets the wrong people. It targets clients who may be
involved in consenting sex rather than the rapists and
traffickers who should be targeted by the police.
Despite the police's call for clarity, the government told
the BBC that it has no plans to change the law on prostitution.
Convictions under Section 53A of the
Sexual Offences Act 2003 by area:
- London: 19
- South West: 11
- North East: 7
- Humberside: 3
- East Midlands: 2
- West Midlands: 1
|
|
19th July
|
|
|
|
UK's sex work laws are 'Victorian and sexist'
|
See article
from sexparty.org.au
an interview with Fiona Patten of the Australian Sex Party
|
Fiona
Patten is the leader of the Australian Sex Party, a political group that emerged
in 2009 as a response to what the party described as the sexual needs of
Australians living in the 21st century. Among other political flagships, her
party has campaigned against sex slavery, for the development of sex education
in schools and also for a new classification for adult material.
As a long-time campaigner on behalf of
the sex industry, Fiona Patten criticises Britain's legal stance
regarding sex work, and calls for a deep legal reform.
...Read the full article
|
|
14th July
|
|
|
|
Police claimed high profile 'rescue' of girls from brothel when it appears that they knew they were volunteer workers all along
|
Thanks to Alan
See article
from expressandstar.com
|
Police
withheld evidence that casts a serious question mark over the conviction
of a Black Country man who is serving seven years for running a brothel, a court
heard.
A judge said he was greatly distressed by the claim
that officers did not disclose a witness statement in the case
of Carl Pritchett, which suggested prostitutes were working at
the Cuddles Massage Parlour in Bearwood voluntarily.
Pritchett's case is now being examined by the Criminal Cases
Review Commission, and Judge Michael Dudley said he was writing
to the country's top prosecutor over the revelations.
Pritchett was jailed for running Cuddles in Hagley Road in
2006. It followed a high media profile raid on the brothel in
2005 when police found 19 foreign women employed as sex workers.
At the time, the police claimed to have 'rescued' trafficked
girls but it turned out to be a well run brothel with willing,
albeit foreign, girls. But it now appears that the police new
before the raid that the girls had been working voluntarily at
the brothel.
Pritchett appeared before Judge Michael Dudley at
Wolverhampton Crown Court for a hearing under the Proceeds of
Crime Act. Judge Dudley revealed Pritchett had handed him papers
at a previous hearing, which he had now read. He said: There
is information in there undermining the conviction, that the
police were in possession of a statement revealing people were
working in these premises voluntarily 16 days before the raid
took place.
He said police had publicised the raid as an operation to
rescue women who had been trafficked into the country, and that
he was greatly distressed by the documents: I'm pretty
sure I was told at the time of the trial there were no
statements from prostitutes that in any way undermined the case.
But there patently was, 16 days before the raid. It doesn't
necessarily mean the conviction will be overturned but all I
know is there is a serious question mark and it's blatant
non-disclosure.
Comment: Slightly Contradictory
Press reports from a previous trial with the same judge
suggested that Pritchett was jailed for 2 years. It was also
established then that the girls weren't trafficked, and that the
brothel was well run. Presumably this new revelation is more
about the conduct of the police, rather than what was already
apparent about the absence of trafficking.
Update: Straigtened
16th July 2011. Thanks to Alan
I think that the discrepancy arises because Pritchett
originally got two years, but then got extra because he didn't
cough up the amount of proceeds of crime determined - I
know not how - by the court.
|
|
13th July
|
|
|
|
Crusade against trafficking may be missing the point on sex industry
|
See article
from examiner.ie
by Steven King
|
A
BBC investigation has that found up to £500,000
every week is spent on prostitution in the North, while the Northern Ireland
police estimate there are 88 brothels in operation. Cue predictable outrage from
every quarter. Presumably, the figures south of the border are even higher.
According to the BBC, Many of the women working in the
brothels have been trafficked from abroad. They are held captive
and forced into prostitution. Sensational stuff, eh? Images
of hundreds of dark ladies held in manacles, unshackled only to
perform their immoral services, spring to mind.
Examine the fine print, however, and you discover that the
average number of women in each of these brothels is not 25 or
50 but just 2, practically a cottage industry, in other words.
So there are 170-odd whores in the North, not counting those who
work the streets, servicing an adult male population of
something like 700,000? Well, blow me down.
...Read the full article
|
|
|