|
4th September
|
|
|
|
Second HIV scare hits US adult movie productions
|
3rd September 2011. See article
from latimesblogs.latimes.com
|
There was a time when porn was a clubby little industry. The studios were all in Southern California.
The filmmakers knew their performers, and the performers, to a large degree, knew each other. Through databases and word-of-mouth, everyone was fairly aware of who they were working with. But in the past few years, this familiarity has vanished, and
taken the industry's sense of security with it.
This week the porn world suffered its latest HIV scare and when this newest patient is identified, there's a good chance that few will know him or her very well, either. It's a sign of the changing nature of the industry.
As porn continues to expand in nearly every way, from the number of performers to the variety of studios to the increasingly far-flung locations of the shoots, the people involved have less and less idea of who they're working with.
Of course, the explosion in new male talent began years ago, but at least there was a relatively well-trusted database that performers could rely on to help keep them safe. But that database was maintained by the Adult Industry
Medical clinic (AIM) in Los Angeles. AIM, which was the medical testing center for virtually the entire industry, closed in May under the financial strain of lawsuits after the Derrick Burts scare. When AIM was open, if a performer tested positive,
a quarantine list could be swiftly generated showing who that performer worked with, who those people he worked with had worked with in turn, and so on.
This shuttering of the AIM database caught the industry with its proverbial pants down, and this is the source of much of the current confusion and fear, according to the adult-industry trade group Free Speech Coalition.
We are putting a system into place to replace AIM, but it is not fully functional yet, says Diane Duke, the Free Speech Coalition's executive director. On Aug. 28 the group called for an industry shut down until further notice.
...Read the full article
Update: Re-tested HIV negative
4th September 2011. Based on article
from sacbee.com
An adult film performer who tested positive for HIV and caused the porn industry to shut down production as a precaution has been retested and the actor does not have the virus, a porn industry trade group has said.
Production can now resume, said Free Speech Coalition executive director Diane Duke.
The industry will be abundantly cautious as we try to nail down the reasons for what now appears to have been a false positive result on a previous test, Duke said.
|
|
1st September
|
|
|
|
Texas Supreme Court upholds 'pole tax' on strip club entries
|
See article
from business.avn.com
|
The Texas Supreme Court has upheld a 2007 strip club entry fee tax, commonly known as the pole tax
, claiming that the $5 charge doesn't substantially impact erotic speech and is justified as a tool to prevent the secondary effects allegedly caused by the combination of naked, gyrating female bodies and alcohol consumption.
Because the fee is content-neutral and satisfies the four-part O'Brien test, we conclude that it does not violate the First Amendment, wrote Justice Nathan L. Hecht for the unanimous court panel.
But as those who've been following this litigation know, the issue of using the fee to combat secondary effects was an idea introduced rather late in the game.
This is just a source of revenue; it has nothing to do with secondary effects, an attorney stated: The lady that authored the bill, when she presented the bill for the first time in committee, said, 'We are not claiming a link between
topless bars and sexual assault.' She was specifically asked that question.
That link was contested statistically by a professor at the University of Texas, and it was also contested in the sense of, there was no evidence introduced supporting that theory... There was no evidence that there had been sexual assaults
in the neighborhood, which is the basic secondary effect concept. They had evidence from a professor and a former police officer-turned-investigator that talked about sexual offenses in connection with entertainers, and they were assaultive type offenses,
but not committed by patrons, and not in the neighborhood.
Of the 169 clubs to which the fee applies, the attorney estimated that more than half could be put out of business because of the fee; that another 30% would be hurt, while just 20% would be minimally affected.
|
|
1st September
|
|
|
|
Private Media Group dispute US court that appointed a receiver
|
Based on article
from newswire.xbiz.com
|
Private Media Group has formally filed with the Nevada Supreme Court an emergency writ to stay the
motion for receivership, claiming the judge in the case abused her discretion in appointing a receiver.
The appointment of a receiver for the multinational adult entertainment company is potentially damning, Private counsel say, and already the receiver, Eric Johnson, hasn't wasted any time in exercising his authority, including
with its finances.
Within hours of the order being signed and before the order was even formally entered, he emailed relevant financial officers and directed that, 'Effective immediately cease all payments including but not limited to, each
and every account of the company's bank accounts, credit accounts, credit cards and any and all other accounts,' Johnson said in an email to company officials, according to Private counsel. 'Also halt the release of any payments in whatever
form, be it check or bank transfer or any other method for which prior approved (sic) for payment or release has been given. Such hereby approval is hereby rescinded.
Private said in its emergency writ to the Nevada Supreme Court that Johnson's first act as receiver may be all that is required to destroy this company and its subsidiaries.
...Read the full article
|
|
27th August
|
|
|
|
US law takes a censorial lurch when censorship case gets carried along on the coattails of a far more serious offence
|
See article
from xbiz.com
|
I n 2009 Jack Furman Dean Jr. was sentenced to 30 years imprisonment for violating law which prohibits certain types of
child pornography.
The defendant was convicted of viciously, sexually abusing his stepdaughter from the ages of 11-27.
The rest of the world undoubtedly sees the outcome of Dean as a well deserved come-uppance for a convicted child abuser. But what does this case mean for the adult industry? Aside from the general observation that tough cases tend
to make bad law, this decision is capable of having a colossally detrimental effect on vast amounts of adult web content. Specifically, almost any teen site on the web currently runs the risk of being categorized as child pornography under this statute. Notably
absent from the statute and resulting case law is a requirement that the prohibited material depict an actual child engaged in sexual activity.
...Read the full article
|
|
19th August
|
|
|
|
Campaign to ask the LA electorate whether they want to mandate condom usage in porn production
|
See article
from business.avn.com
|
Anti-porn nutters of the AIDS Healthcare Foundation are taking its condom case to the people ... maybe. The group,
which has been trying to force all adult performers to use condoms on set, is undertaking a ballot initiative to get enough signatures to put an initiative on the city's June 2012 ballot that asks if voters, want porn productions to made to use condoms in
order to obtain film permits to shoot in Los Angeles.
City election officials said that: Activists must submit a petition with at least 41,138 qualifying signatures (15% of all votes cast in the last mayoral election) by Dec. 23 in order to place the measure on the June ballot.
|
|
7th August
|
|
|
|
US website fails to convince court that it suffered losses from Google Images
|
See article
from courthousenews.com
|
The soft-core porn website Perfect 10 failed to show that Google's search engine caused its looming bankruptcy by offering the site's
pictures of nude women for free, the 9th Circuit has ruled.
The federal appeals court in Pasadena rejected Perfect 10's request for a preliminary injunction in an ongoing battle with Google over alleged copyright infringements, finding that the website could not show it had or would suffer irreparable harm.
Perfect 10 claimed in California's Central District Court that Google's web crawler software had destroyed its business model because it makes thumbnails of Perfect 10's images available without a subscription.
The court panel found that Perfect 10 had failed to submit a statement from even a single former subscriber who ceased paying for Perfect 10's service because of the content freely available via Google.
|
|
5th August
|
|
|
|
US satellite and cable TV companies suffer a drop in porn revenue
|
See article
from online.wsj.com
|
Cable and satellite television companies have a pornography problem: Their customers aren't watching enough of it.
Companies' revenue from highly profitable adult video-on-demand and pay-per-view services has been slipping, as the genre's consumers spend more time browsing porn on the Web.
The trend is prompting TV executives to pull back the curtain on how porn contributes to their businesses, a topic they have been loath to discuss publicly.
Satellite provider DirecTV cited lower adult buys as a cause for weaker pay-per-view revenue in its second quarter earnings. That followed Time Warner Cable Inc.'s admission last week that shrinkage in the adult category was responsible for more
than a third of a $14 million drop in video-on-demand revenue. While only a sliver of the cable company's $4.9 billion in revenue for the quarter, porn is one of TV providers' most profitable segments.
...Read the full article
|
|
5th August
|
|
|
|
Even the most discrete of billboards is too much for some nutters
|
See article
from glendora.patch.com
|
An AdultCon billboard has created a nutter backlash among residents of Glendora. The billboard was advertising an adult
convention at the LA Convention Center.
I just don't think this kind of billboard has a place in our community, said Glendora resident Erica Landmann-Johnsey, who addressed the billboard at a recent city council meeting: I just can't imagine that many residents in Glendora interested
in going to a porn convention.
According to David Chantarangsu, planner for the city of Glendora, billboards in Glendora are protected by free speech laws: The Supreme Court has had a latitude of certain kinds of free speech, said Chantarangsu. These billboards are nowhere
near what the Supreme Court deems as obscene.
He said the advertising agency responsible for the AdultCon advertisement has purchased space on city billboards before, much to the dismay of residents who have called the city planning department with their concerns: We have placed calls to the advertising
agency to be a little more discreet about the types of ads they place on these billboards . They have been fairly cooperative, but they don't always listen to our requests. They have a vested right to place their ads, but we're keeping an eye on them.
|
|
29th July
|
|
|
|
Nutter campaign to mandate condom use loses again on appeal
|
21st July 2011. See article
from latimesblogs.latimes.com
|
Los
Angeles County public health officials do not need to require porn industry
performers to wear condoms to protect against the spread of AIDS and other
sexually transmitted diseases, an appeals court has affirmed.
The Second District Court of Appeals upheld an earlier ruling
that dismissed a petition from AIDS activists to force the Los
Angeles County Department of Public Health to mandate condoms
during the filming of hardcore pornography.
Anti-porn campaigners, AIDS Healthcare Foundation, had gone
to court to compel county officials to act, arguing that they
had passively observed an ever-growing epidemic within
the porn industry. The foundation argued that the health
department had documented thousands of sexually transmitted
diseases among adult film stars and attributed the epidemic
to a lack of protection equipment for performers, including
condoms.
The county moved to have the lawsuit thrown out, saying the
foundation was asking for too much, to take any and all other
reasonable steps necessary to stem the spread of sexually
transmitted diseases in the production of pornography.
A Superior Court judge decided to dismiss the case in 2009,
ruling that county officials had broad discretion over how they
manage public health matters. The appeals court agreed, saying
it could not compel the county health department to implement
AIDS Healthcare Foundation's agenda to combat sexually
transmitted diseases.
Update: Onwards and Upwards
29th July 2011. See article
from xbiz.com
Anti-porn
campaigners of the AIDS Healthcare Foundation is taking its
mandatory condom campaign to the California Supreme Court,
asking for a review of a recent decision by a state appeals
court panel that ruled Los Angeles County health officials can't
be forced to regulate the adult industry.
The AHF filed the petition arguing that there are several
reasons the court should review the case. One of those reasons
is that the issue affects the health of all California
residents.
|
|
28th July
|
|
|
|
PornWikiLeaks goes offline and porn stars breathe a sigh of relief
|
Based on
article from
mediabistro.com
|
In
December 2010, the adult film industry was rocked by the launch of
PornWikileaks.com. Thanks to information purloined from the AIM Healthcare
Foundation, porn stars' confidential information such as their real name and STD
test results were published on the internet.
Led by director Mike South, a portion of the San Fernando
Valley's X-rated film industry community banded together to
force the hand of the suspected owner of the site, adult actor
Donny Long. South, attorney Michael Whiteacre, and Internet
expert Sean Tompkins were able to finally legally compel
GoDaddy.com to confirm Long's ownership of the website.
Long wasn't ready to back down. But Whiteacre and South used
the newly acquired domain information to find the person
responsible for funding the site... Soon after the funder was
revealed, PornWikileaks. com went dark and has remained so ever
since
|
|
28th July
|
|
|
|
Journalist tells his tale of being accused of writing critical blog
|
See article
from indexoncensorship.org
|
Mark
Townsend spent nearly two years fighting a bizarre libel case in
Dubai. Here he tells of the legal limbo of the gulf city's
labyrinthine legal system
August is a cruel month of extremes in
Dubai. Triple digit temperatures connive with intense levels of
humidity, and every day there is a mad dash to the next air
conditioned space. August 2009 exposed a new kind of extreme,
that continues to occupy every waking moment of my life. For 22
months I have been subsumed in Dubai's labyrinthine legal system
for a crime I did not commit. The crime: libel, a
criminal offence in the United Arab Emirates carrying a maximum
two year prison sentence, a fine, or a combination of both. If
you happen to be a foreigner there is a risk of deportation. For
twenty two months the authorities withheld my passport. For
twenty two months I was high and low, guilty and innocent. There
were two meetings with the public prosecutor; nine court
appearances; five adjournments and the tacit use of tampered
evidence.
...Read the full article
|
|
13th July
|
|
|
|
Louisiana downgrades anal sex and blow jobs from a felony to a misdemeanor
|
See article
from nerve.com
|
A
new bill sponsored by State Senator JP Morrell, Louisiana has
partially decriminalized the acts of soliciting oral and anal
sex, which, according to an archaic statute that considered
those acts felonies, forcing those found guilty to register as
sex offenders and to carry driver's licenses and I.D. cards
featuring the words SEX OFFENDER in bright, orange
capital letters.
The laws were used to target sex-workers who were largely
female, African-American, gay and transsexual, while white
heterosexual streetwalkers were rarely subject to the outmoded
law punishing unnatural carnal copulation. Being busted
for solicitation of crimes against nature meant greater
difficulty in securing housing, employment, treatment and
services.
The anti-nature crimes will be changed next month from
felony to misdemeanor status, meaning that first offenders
paying for anything other than vaginal intercourse face up to
six months in jail and a maximum fine of $500. And it now
requires two convictions to be tagged with the sex-offender
label.
Almost 40% of registered sex offenders in Orleans Parish are
on the registry due to a Crime Against Nature conviction, so
it's an important step in the fight against legal discrimination
against minorities, especially when it's between consenting
adults.
|
|
|