Police have released a still image of the moment an arsonist appears to accidentally set himself alight whilst starting the blaze at the Redd club in Burgess Hill.
CCTV footage caught the suspect in action as they left the club after starting the fire.
Police say this person may have suffered burns or smoke inhalation and witnesses are urgently being sought by police. Detectives discovered petrol cans at the scene last week and are now appealing for more information.
DI Stu Hale said: We are particularly keen to hear from patrol station operatives who may remember selling full or empty green or red fuel canisters, some days or hours prior to approximately 2am on Tuesday July 15. Your information will be treated in
the strictest confidence.
We are also keen to trace the person pictured in the CCTV stills. Do you know of anyone who may have suffered smoke inhalation or other more serious effects caused by fire?
Anyone with information about the arson should call DI Hale at Haywards Heath 0845 60 70 999.
Update: Effigy
30th September 2008. Based on article
from theargus.co.uk
A burning effigy of a pole dancer was a hot topic of conversation during a bonfire procession.
The tongue-in-cheek figure played a part in the Burgess Hill Bonfire on Saturday night which attracted more than 5,000 people to the town.
The model was a reminder of the blaze which destroyed lap-dancing club Redd, above the Martlets shopping centre in Burgess Hill, in July.
About 22 bonfire societies from across Sussex turned out for the lengthy procession which went down well with the crowds.
Update: Pagan Temple
9th November 2009. See article
from bognor.co.uk
The owner of the arson-wrecked Redd Club says he wants to re-open it as a pagan temple. Leo Valls has told councillors he intends to run the lap-dancing club at The Martlets, Burgess Hill, as a place of religious worship known as Redd Temple.
The upper-storey club and a seperately-run bar underneath were both wrecked by an arson attack last year, although police have been unable to charge anyone for the attack.
An application to rebuild the site has yet to be decided by Mid Sussex District Council, which this week confirmed there is still a current licence.
|