|
30th December
|
|
|
|
State will supervise weblogs better than the bloggers themselves
|
From Google News
|
Vietnam needs to control blogs to prevent the spread of subversive and sexually explicit content, communist government officials said.
Weblogs have exploded in Vietnam in recent years, especially among youths, providing a forum for chatting about mostly societal and lifestyle issues and providing an alternative to the state-controlled media.
Recent anti-Chinese protests over the disputed Spratly and Paracel islands, which were halted following rebukes from Beijing, were organised and debated on the Internet but almost completely ignored by the official press.
The ministry responsible for culture and information, which controls traditional media, in July said it was drafting regulations that would fine bloggers who post subversive and sexually explicit content online.
Deputy Information and Communications Minister Do Quy Doan said: Once we have obvious regulations, I think no one will be able to supervise weblogs better than the bloggers themselves.
|
|
29th December
|
|
DVDs, Blu-Ray, VOD, Sex Toys & Lingerie...
All at great low prices!
mi-porn.com
|
|
China arrests human rights activist Hu Jia
|
From Reporters without Borders
see full article
|
The recent arrest of leading human rights activist Hu Jia at his Beijing home is condemned with the utmost firmness by Reporters Without Borders. Hu is accused of subverting state authority, a charge often used by the Chinese government
against dissidents.
Reporters Without Borders added: Together with the Fondation de France, we had just awarded Hu and his wife, Zeng Jinyan, a special prize on 5 December for their courageous stance in defence of human rights in the approach to next year's Olympic Games in
Beijing.
We express our solidarity with Hu and Zeng and their six-week-old daughter and we urge the European Union and the rest of the international community to rally to Hu's defence so that he does not become another victim of China's pre-Olympics repression.
Hu was at home with his wife, Zeng, who is also a blogger and activist when 20 policemen burst in, disconnected their Internet connection and phone lines to prevent them from telling the outside world, and arrested Hu.
According to Chinese Human Rights Defenders, police officers remained in the house after Hu had been taken away in order to prevent Zeng from telling anyone what had happened. They showed her a warrant for his arrest for subverting state authority
. No one knows where he is now being held.
Both Hu and Zeng are human rights and environmental activists and bloggers. They had been under a form of house arrest in Beijing since 18 May.
Hu participated in a European parliamentary hearing in Brussels on 26 November on the human rights situation in China. He said at one point during the hearing: It is ironic that one of the people in charge of organising the Olympic Games is the head of
the Bureau of Public Security, which is responsible for so many human rights violations. It is very serious that the official promises are not being kept before the games.
|
|
19th December
|
|
|
|
Pakistan censors talk shows in the run up to the election
|
From Philidelphia Inquirer
see full article
|
The Pakistan government's intolerance of public dissent is not easing ahead of the Jan. 8 parliamentary elections, with television executives being warned they could be imprisoned and fined for giving critics of President Pervez Musharraf a live forum.
Pakistan's regulators ordered all satellite television channels to stop airing such live programs, talk shows and contents immediately, according to a copy of a letter Tuesday obtained by the Associated Press.
In the letter, the Pakistan Electronic Media Regulatory Authority said some channels still were airing live coverage and taking live telephone calls from [the] public, which contain baseless propaganda against Pakistan and incite people to violence.
The regulators warned that the channels could be taken off the air and that those responsible - the network's license-holder or its representative - could face up to three years in prison and fines of up to $170,000.
Journalists yesterday accused the state media regulator of trying to restrict their coverage of the elections. The Pakistan Federal Union of Journalists called it an attempt to silence the free media.
|
|
14th December
|
|
|
|
Government demands positive headlines about Indian unrest
|
From International Herald Tribune
see full article
|
Malaysia's government has told the mainstream media not to sensationalize a crackdown on ethnic Indians following an unprecedented rally against racial discrimination in Muslim-majority Malaysia, officials said.
Che Din Yusoh, a senior official with the Internal Security Ministry, said newspaper editors had been given "verbal advice" not to highlight sensitive issues related to the Nov. 25 rally by at least 20,000 ethnic Indians that police broke up by
force: Don't sensationalize what police are doing. Don't give a very negative picture ... We have guidelines on publication, and they have to implement (self) censorship .
Malaysiakini, an independent Internet news portal, reported Wednesday that top editors of all dailies were summoned by the government for a meeting, and were told not to give prominence to Hindu Rights Action Force, or Hindraf, the group that is leading
the Indian unrest.
Malays control the government and the Chinese dominate the business. The Indians complain they are at the bottom of the society with little wealth, education or job opportunities because of government policies that give preferential treatment to Malays.
|
|
11th December
|
|
|
|
Tunisian blogger jailed for criticism of president
|
From CPJ see full article
|
The Committee to Protect Journalists condemns the one-year prison sentence handed down to a Tunisian freelance journalist known for his published criticism of President Zine El Abidine Ben Ali and members of the first family.
A court in Sakiet Ezziet, in the suburbs of Sfax, Tunisia’s second-largest city after Tunis, sentenced Slim Boukhdhir, a well-known blogger to eight months for supposedly verbally assaulting a public employee while on duty and four months for violating
public decency both crimes under Tunisia’s Penal Code. Boukhdhir was also fined for refusing to show his identification card to a public security agent.
This case shows the lengths to which Tunisian authorities will go to punish critics in the press, CPJ Executive Director Joel Simon said: We believe that Slim Boukhdir, like others before him, is being railroaded by the Tunisian justice system
for his outspoken writings. We call for his immediate release.
Boukhdir was arrested by police on November 26 in Sfax. Police officers alleged that Boukhdir was verbally abusive—a charge he denies.
Update: Freed
24th July 2008, Based on article
from cpj.org
The Committee to Protect Journalists welcomes the release from jail of Tunisian Internet journalist Slim Boukhdhir, who had been held for eight months after writing articles critical of President Zine El Abidine Ben Ali and the first family.
We welcome this release and are relieved that our colleague has at last regained his freedom, said Joel Campagna, CPJ’s senior Middle East program coordinator. But the unfortunate reality is that Slim Boukhdhir never should have been jailed in
the first place. His unjust imprisonment underscores the troubling state of media freedom in Tunisia. We hope that with Boukhdhir’s release Tunisian authorities will halt the practice of putting writers behind bars and rid the country of its dubious
distinction as the Arab world’s leading jailer of journalists over the last seven years.
Boukhdir, a contributor to numerous Tunisian and Arab news Web sites, was serving a one-year term on what were widely seen as fabricated charges of insulting a public employee, violating “public decency,” and refusing to hand over identification to
police.
|
|
7th December
|
|
|
|
Harming the reputation of Egypt
|
From Index on Censorship
|
lndex on Censorship and ARTICLE 19 are alarmed by the continuing assault on press freedom in Egypt. This week, no less than three cases will come to trial. All three represent a serious infringement of the right to free expression. It is the culmination
of a year-long campaign of intimidation against journalists and bloggers
Howaida Taha, al Jazeera journalist, was detained in January 2007, while making a documentary on torture in Egypt. Her case comes up on 3 December. The documentary was broadcast on al Jazeera in April and has become a significant testimony of the
violations committed by the country’s security apparatus. Ms Taha was sentenced in absentia on the 2 May by al Nozha Felonies Court in Egypt to six months in prison and hard labour under Article 80 and 178 of the penal code, which prohibit ‘acts that
intend to harm national interests’ and ‘possessing and giving pictures and recorded material that undermine the image of the country by presenting material contrary to the reality or presenting inappropriate scenes’.
On 5 December, Ibrahim Issa, editor-in-chief of al Dustour, will face trial in Algalaa’ Court. In September 2007, Issa was charged with publishing reports ‘likely to disturb public security and damage the public interest’ in respect of articles published
in al Dustour about President Mubarak’s state of health.
The third case will be heard on 8 December and threatens the existence of a number of blogs, news websites, and the websites of local and international human rights organizations – including Ifex, Index on Censorship, and the Arabic Network for Human
Rights. Earlier this year, Judge Abd al-Fattah Mourad filed a lawsuit against a number of human rights NGOs and blogs, describing them as terrorist and accusing them of harming the reputation of Egypt and Arab rulers and of posting information which
insult the President. He called for those websites to be blocked.
|
|
6th December
|
|
|
|
Chinese close magazine and arrest associated website editor
|
From China View
see full article
|
The Hepatitis B site, at www.hbvhbv.com, had been running for six years without any interference from the authorities—until now.
Authorities in Shanghai have raided the home of a Chinese blogger after he posted a detailed account of the closure of his magazine earlier in the year.
The move comes as part of what many see as a tightening of control over China’s netizens. It also follows a doubling in the number of those detained under state security laws last year.
Five people came to see me at about 10 this morning, former journalist and editor of the nonprofit Minjian magazine Zhai Minglei told RFA’s Mandarin service: Three of them showed ID that confirmed they were from the Shanghai cultural business
bureau. They said that I was involved in the illegal publication and distribution of materials, and acting as a freelance editor. They took away 41 copies of Minjian magazine.
Minjian is published under the auspices of the social and citizenship development research center of Zhongshan University in Guangzhou. Its publication license was revoked by the news publishing bureau of the Guangzhou municipal government on July 6.
More than 5,000 copies of the summer edition were confiscated at that time. The online edition of Minjian was closed by the city’s Internet police on Aug. 20. An edition hosted on an overseas server was blocked inside China in October.
Zhai said he was sure the investigations were linked to a highly detailed account of the closure of Minjian magazine that he posted on his blog, Yibao, drawing dozens of messages of support.
|
|
|